- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Three Trees Lodge
At a Glance
- charming authentic Victorian atmosphere
- stunning Anglo-Boer War memorabilia
- limited cell phone reception
Three Trees Lodge Review
In the lee of the famous hill, Spioenkop, where one of the bitterest battles of the Anglo-Boer War took place, lies the quaint little Victorian lodge of Three Trees. You'll feel as if you've stepped back in time when you stay in a cozy little en suite Victorian cottage with its own deck overlooking a secret game-filled valley, set against the magnificent backdrop of the Drakensberg Amphitheatre. In winter, candelabra aloes arch their fiery red arms to the sky, and the decor of the cottages picks up the theme—your bed linen, soft furnishings, furniture, rugs, and bath accessories all echo the green, golds, and scarlets of the indigenous vegetation. Inside the green cottages are cream and pale-green wooden walls, rich brown, polished, cement floors, and cow-skin rugs. Examine the pictures, photographs, and old advertisements on the walls in your cottage and in the comfortable main lodge where a crackling fire burns on cold nights. Most of these souvenirs are original—there's even a copy of one of Winston Churchill's paintings of the area when he was a war correspondent here and famously escaped his Boer captors. The homegrown and home-cooked food is a delight, and the owners, Sheryl and Simon Blackburn, immediately make you feel like part of the family, rather than a guest. Even if you're not into military history, a morning's visit to the top of Spioenkop and its mass grave with the knowledgeable Omri Nene, the resident guide, may well have you in tears. Go horse riding, mountain biking, take a trip into the adjacent game reserve, or take a full day's picnic into the mountains. There are over 270 bird species with a dazzling selection of sunbirds.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Protea Edward Durban Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- 12 Nt Cruise! See Africa with MSC Cruises Fr $2,319 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 4 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $609 — $609 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 14 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,919 — $1,919 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 3 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $279 — $279 Expedia
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps ... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more