- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Deep-sea fishing is a popular activity, as there's almost always something biting. Summer (November-May) brings game fish like barracuda, marlin, sailfish, and dorado, whereas winter is better for the bottom fishes, like mussel crackers, salmon, and rock cod.
Casea Charters offers trips on a ski boat from Granny's Pool, in front of Umhlanga's Cabana Beach, that run from three to five hours (R400–R550). Fish for dorado, yellowfin tuna, king and queen mackerel, garrick, rock cod, salmon, and other species. Bait and equipment are supplied, but bring your own food and drinks. You can keep the fish you catch. Booking is essential. 031/561–7381 or 083/690–2511. www.caseacharters.co.za.
Lynski Charters offers deep-sea fishing for barracuda, sailfish, marlin, shark, and reef fish out of Durban's harbor. Trips, in a 35-foot game-fish boat, cost R4,000 for up to six people fishing for a day trip, although the boat can take nine people altogether. The price includes equipment, tackle, bait, and cold drinks. 031/539-3338 or 082/445-6600. www.lynski.com.
Swissroll Charters offers similar deep-sea fishing trips from the harbor. For R3,800, skipper-owner Ralph Nussbaumer takes a maximum of six people for a day on his 30-foot boat with a cabin. Sometimes he sets up a gas cooker and fries some fresh fish. 031/467-2185 or 082/451-6567. www.swissroll.co.za.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's