Rikkis are London taxi-style cars that provide a cheap (but slow) alternative to metered taxis. Service is door-to-door, but unlike a metered cab, a rikki may stop at several other doors to pick up additional passengers en route. Rikkis operate 24 hours a day in the City Bowl, and go everywhere in the city for R20-R25. They also have service to and around Hout Bay and Simon's Town. Hours in Hout Bay are 6:30 am-2:30 am weekdays, and 24 hours a day on weekends. Rikkis also can be booked for farther destinations, like Kirstenbosch (R120, up to four people). The Simon's Town rikkis can also take you anywhere, but the most popular trip is to Cape Point. A two-hour trip for two is about R760.
Rikkis. 0861/745–547; 072/387–4366 in Simon's Town. www.rikkis.co.za.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's