- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This 19th-century building adjoins the gracious manor house at Groot Constantia, the Cape's oldest wine estate. The Malay platter provides a hearty taste of the Cape's culinary heritage with bobotie (spiced minced beef studded with dried fruit and topped with a savory baked custard), lamb curry with sambals (condiments), tomato-based chicken bredie, samosas, fish cakes, cinnamon-spiced butternut squash, rice, and papadum (crispy flatbread). Smoked snoek (fragrant Cape oily fish) pâté is a good way to start your meal. A wide selection of contemporary dishes includes grilled squid and chorizo salad served with rocket (arugula), roasted tomatoes, and a warm orange-and-lime vinaigrette. The South African dessert melktert, or milk tart—similar to baked custard—is both traditional and delicious.
- Address: Groot Constantia, Main Rd., Constantia, Cape Town, 7806
- Phone: 021/794-6255
- Location: Southern Suburbs
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- No dinner Sun.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3299 -- 10-Nt. South Africa Adventure w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
At a vaguely spur of the moment , as we say here in Yankeeland, we are consdeiring a Mid-late 2013 September trip to CapeTown, Londolozi, and one other game park, not self -drive, destination) (Or, perhaps Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more