- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mount Nelson Hotel
At a Glance
- aesthetically, this is the real colonial deal
- guests include movie stars and diplomats
- excellent restaurant
- breakfast and lunch restaurant overlooks guests at the pool
Check Rates from our Partners
Mount Nelson Hotel Review
This distinctive pink landmark is the grande dame of Cape Town. Since it opened its doors in 1899 to accommodate passengers just off the Union-Castle steamships, it has been the focal point of Cape social life. It retains a traditional charm and gentility that other luxury hotels often lack: a lavish afternoon tea is served in the lounge to piano accompaniment, the Planet Bar is very glam, and the staff almost outnumber the guests. Rooms are decorated with fine antiques and fresh flowers and have an air of aristocracy about them. The hotel stands at the top of Government Avenue, but, surrounded as it is by 9 acres of manicured gardens, it might as well be in the country. Once a week the head gardener leads a guided tour through the magnificent gardens, and tea is served afterward. Very civilized! For peak season, December–March, it's advisable to book a year in advance.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Thinking of visiting Cape Town and Kruger. Read more
I'm planning on visiting Cape Town and Kruger National Park in November.
Would appreciate any input about weather (temp, humidity, rain) , animal viewing at this time and crowds.
Thanks . Read more
We have organized a last minute trip on January 28th, total of 8 days maximum, from the Philippines and we will be flying in via Cathay Pacific airways Johannesburg and flying out from here too. Read more
· News & Features
To say there's plenty to do, see, eat, and drink in Cape Town would be an understatement. ... Read more
There's no better place than South Africa to witness the sea's most awesome creatures in action, and its... Read more
Surrounded by world-renowned wine estates, farmland, and miles of rich coastline, Cape Town is one o... Read more