- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Parade Review
Once a military parade ground, this is now just a bleak parking lot with a statue of Edward VII serving as a parking attendant and seagull resting post. But it was here that more than 100,000 of Nelson Mandela's supporters gathered on February 11, 1990, when, after 27 years in prison, he addressed an adoring crowd from the balcony at City Hall. The Grand Parade will be temporarily transformed into a fan park for the 2010 World Cup.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book at Taj Cape Town Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $55+/Nt Expedia
- $3299+: South Africa: 12-Nt Getaway w/Air, Hotels & Transfers ShermansTravel
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Protea Breakwater Lodge in May: $107 & Up — $107 Save with Expedia, $35/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more