- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Africa Café Review
Touristy as it may be, this friendly restaurant in a historic 18th-century former home is perhaps the only one coasting boasting city views and an array of African cuisine. The theme here is a communal feast, with dishes originating from Ethiopia to Zambia, and Kenya to Angola. There are no starters or entrées, but rather a tasty series of patties, puffs, and pastries, along with dishes like an East African mchicha wa nazi (spinach cooked in a peanut sauce), and mwana wa nkosa (Karoo lamb stew). Vegetarian dishes are plentiful, including the Ethiopian aib (curd cheese with herbs). The cost of this colorful prix-fixe abundance (including dessert) is R245 per person. Wines from Cape estates are available, or you can ask for umqomboti beer, brewed from sorghum or millet.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 5-Star Cape Royale Fr $156+/Nt Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- Book the Sunshine Letting Apartments 3 Nts in May Fr $74+/Nt Expedia
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Stay 3 Nights and Save 15% on Your Stay!: New Kings in May — $85 Save with Expedia, $15/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups. ... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more