- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rhodes Memorial Review
Rhodes served as prime minister of the Cape from 1890 to 1896. He made his fortune in the Kimberley diamond rush, but his greatest dream was to forge a Cape-Cairo railway, a tangible symbol of British dominion in Africa. The classical-style granite memorial sits high on the slopes of Devil's Peak, on part of Rhodes's old estate, Groote Schuur. A mounted rider symbolizing energy faces north toward the continent for which Rhodes felt such passion. A bust of Rhodes dominates the temple—ironically, he's leaning on one hand as if he's about to nod off.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cape Town Central Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Jambo Guest House on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $80+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- 5-Star Cape Town Central Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2126 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $659 Expedia
- Small budget: Book The Westin Cape Town 3 Nts in May Fr $213+/Nt — $213 Save with Expedia, $90/night less
My husband and I live in Cape Town and it has been our home for the past 25 years – I am from the England.
Most vacations we travel to some far away land with lots of advice from all you guys o Read more
Including international travel from the US and transfers between parks and countries, the entire duration of this trip is about 3 weeks total.
I did the nontraditional part at the start of the trip, bu Read more
My family - which includes our two 14 year-old children - are considering a 2 week trip to South Africa at the end of July. Read more
· News & Features
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups. ... Read more
Brooklyn's hot right now, particularly if you're in the Western hemisphere.... Read more
Whether its heights, speed, wild animals, or something else, we've all got a fear that needs conquering.... Read more