Cape Town Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Cape Town
City Sophistication. Cape Town is a cosmopolitan city with a rich heritage that's proudly on display. It might be more laid-back than Johannesburg, but it has shaken off its sleepy, parochial air and now bristles with world-class shops and restaurants and cutting-edge art and design.
Lofty Aspirations. Fantastic Table Mountain towers over Cape Town and dominates the whole peninsula. Exploring the mountain is a must; you can either take the cable car to the top or hike up various routes.
Nature's Playground. Capetonians are proud of their city's stylish good looks and make the most of the mountain and beaches. In summer you'll find professionals shrugging off their suits as they head for the beach after work, surfboards, picnics, and sundowners in tow. In winter they bundle up against the cold and go walking, mountain biking, or running in the city's countless green spaces.
To Market, to Market. Cape Town's markets are the best in the country—informal, creative, funky, and with a good selection of both tacky and splendid African curios.
Historical Heritage. Cape Town is saturated with an extremely rich and fascinating history. At Robben Island you can stand in Mandela's old cell and learn about political and social banishment during apartheid, while the District Six Museum tells the poignant tale of the destruction of one of the country's most vibrant inner-city neighborhoods.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Cape Town Central: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $67+/Nt Expedia
- Hollow On The Square Cape Town City in May: $106 & Up Expedia
- Cape Town Central 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1972 Expedia
- 9 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Cape Town Central Fr $659 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Mouille Point Village in Cape Town Central Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia