Surfing in Cape Town
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cape Town has some great but cold surf, and conditions can be complicated by the winds. Though it's no J-Bay (Jeffreys Bay), Cape Town still has some killer spots.
Gary's Surf School offers surfing lessons to youngsters and the young at heart in the relatively warm and gentle waters at Muizenberg. You can also rent boards and wet suits. Lessons last two hours and cost around R500 for adults, R400 for children, including suit and board; if you still feel strong after that, you can keep the equipment for the rest of the day. You do need to be aware, however, that you'll be sharing the ocean with plenty of sharks, but that never seems to stop anyone. 021/788-9839. www.garysurf.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's