Hiking and Canyoning in Cape Town
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Canyoning
Cape Town and the surrounding areas offer some of the finest hiking in the world. Take some of the mystery out of Table Mountain with a guide who will share information on the incredible diversity of flora and fauna you'll come across. Join walking (R600 half day) and climbing tours (R750 half day) with Venture Forth International Travel. 086/110-6548. www.ctsm.co.za.
Longer walking tours (four days and longer) outside Cape Town can be arranged through Active Africa 021/788-6083. www.active-africa.com.
Kloofing, known as canyoning in the United States, is the practice of following a mountain stream through its gorge, canyon, or kloof by swimming, rock hopping, and jumping over waterfalls or cliffs into deep pools. There are some exceptional kloofing venues in the Cape. Abseil Africa runs a kloofing and abseiling (rappelling) trip (R695) on the Steenbras River, better known as Kamikaze Kanyon. 021/424-4760. www.abseilafrica.co.za.
Table Mountain Walks offers various hikes, including options at Table Mountain and Silvermine Nature Reserve, with a well-informed guide (R400–R650). 021/715–6136. www.tablemountainwalks.co.za.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's