- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The very helpful Tourist Information Bureau (run by the City of Windhoek) at the Post Street Mall provides information on Windhoek and environs; it's open weekdays 7:30–1 and 2–4:30. It also operates a kiosk on Independence Avenue next to the main taxi stand and opposite the Kalahari Sands and Casino. Also on Independence Avenue is the Tourist Information Center run by the Leading Lodges of Africa; here you can book accommodation, car rentals, and get advice about travel throughout the country. There's also a luggage storage facility and a small café with Wi-Fi.
The head office of the Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR) is also on Independence Avenue. Here you can get information on NWR lodging in all the parks and make bookings. Finally, the Namibia Tourism Board (NTB) has general information on Windhoek as well as the rest of Namibia, but isn't tailored to individual consultation. It's open weekdays 8-5.
Additionally, Windhoek City Tours now has a bus tour on the ubiquitous double-decker red buses that ply cities from London to Tokyo. Leaving twice daily at 9:30 and 2:30, the bus (N$185) is a pleasant zero-effort way to get your bearings and catch all the major sights in about two hours, with live commentary. Tickets and information are available at the Leading Lodge's Tourist Information Center on Independence Avenue.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's