- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The closest airport, handling domestic and international flights, is about a 45-minute drive from Swakopmund at Walvis Bay.
Intercape Mainliner runs buses between Windhoek and Swakopmund. The Town Hoppers shuttle service also runs a daily shuttle between Windhoek and Swakopmund for N$220 one-way. For an additional fee, they'll provide door-to-door pickup and/or drop-off. There are no reliable bus services within Swakopmund for visitors.
If you have the time, it's worth renting a car to drive from Windhoek to Swakopmund. It's a very scenic and easy four-hour drive, about 368 km (228 miles) on the B1, a good paved road. Once in Swakopmund, it's easy to find your way around. With a car, you'll also be able to visit the Cape Cross seal colony and drive farther north toward the Skeleton Coast, or drive 30 km (19 miles) south to Walvis Bay, where numerous outdoor activities originate. A two-wheel-drive vehicle is fine, but if you intend on visiting Sandwich Harbour or Sossusvlei in Namib-Naukluft Park, then a 4x4 will give you more access and better viewing (and is essential for Sandwich Harbour).
If you arrange to rent a car in advance at any of the reliable agencies, you'll be met at Walvis Bay Airport. The car-rental agencies also have offices in Swakopmund.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's