At a Glance
- one of Namibia's most pristine wilderness areas
- solar powered and using eco-building techniques
- impressive community-based responsible tourism model
- game drives are additional for those on half-board basis
- rough entrance road means leaving your 2x4 vehicle in a parking area about 45 minutes away on arrival
Damaraland Camp Review
A joint community venture with the local riemvasmakers (thong makers), this desolate camp is on the Huab River in central Damaraland, midway between Khorixas and the coast. Perched on a raised wooden platform, the views from the gorgeous and spacious adobe-style, thatch unit take in a landscape of craggy beauty formed by millions of years of unending geological movement. You'll drive with an experienced ranger in an open 4x4 to see the famous Welwitschia and track desert elephants. After a day in the desert, cool off in the natural rock pool and watch the desert birds, or relax with a drink in the adobe and thatch lodge, where stunning and surreal views are the name of the game.