- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- one of Namibia's most pristine wilderness areas
- solar powered and using eco-building techniques
- impressive community-based responsible tourism model
- game drives are additional for those on half-board basis
- rough entrance road means leaving your 2x4 vehicle in a parking area about 45 minutes away on arrival
Damaraland Camp Review
A joint community venture with the local riemvasmakers (thong makers), this desolate camp is on the Huab River in central Damaraland, midway between Khorixas and the coast. Perched on a raised wooden platform, the views from the gorgeous and spacious adobe-style, thatch unit take in a landscape of craggy beauty formed by millions of years of unending geological movement. You'll drive with an experienced ranger in an open 4x4 to see the famous Welwitschia and track desert elephants. After a day in the desert, cool off in the natural rock pool and watch the desert birds, or relax with a drink in the adobe and thatch lodge, where stunning and surreal views are the name of the game.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Even while reveling in holiday festivities, it's easy to be overtaken by the stress of finding perfec ... Read more
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological... Read more
Cruisers with a taste for dancing take note—you can compete aboard Holland America sailings to wi... Read more