- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mountain Homestead Lodge
At a Glance
- superb location to see Sossusvlei dunes without having to travel large distances
- each room has a private plunge pool
- diesel generator can be quite loud at night
- not a great environment for solo travelers
Mountain Homestead Lodge Review
In one of the most dramatic settings in Africa, exquisitely appointed rock, timber, and thatch bungalows cling to the side of a mountain with spectacular views of the desert as it stretches away to the horizon. After the bumpy 20-km (12½-mile) drive to the dunes, you'll enjoy breakfast under spreading camelthorn trees at the foot of Sossusvlei before returning to camp at midday via the Sesriem Canyon. You can then cool off in your private plunge pool as you watch the sun set over awesome desert scenery to the calls of barking geckos.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more