- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Protea Hotels Zambezi River
At a Glance
- conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport
- modern conveniences like satellite TV, a/c, and room service
- though clean and comfortable, this outlet of the Protea chain lacks the charm of a smaller hotel
Protea Hotels Zambezi River Review
Just 2 km (1 mi) from Katimo Mulilo, this is the town's best hotel, where the rooms spread along the banks of the Zambezi River amid colorful bougainvillea bushes and flame trees. But far from the traditional sounds of Africa, the sounds you are most likely to hear are rap, hip-hop, and hard rock from the radios in the Zambian riverside villages just across the river. It's a convenient stopover offering recently renovated, clean, comfortable, tiled rooms with windows and double doors facing the river. (Look for the Cape clawless otters playing in the river.) Food is quick and palatable, but don't hold your breath for something special. Short cruises on the river are available.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more