- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Namutoni Rest Camp
At a Glance
- great location with access to the northeast section of the park where the flamingo colony at Fischer's Pan is found
- two restaurants, a gas station, and good shop
- daily game drives available
- car park is a bit of a hike
- camp water hole not one of the best in the area
- only camp sites are self-catering
Namutoni Rest Camp Review
On the eastern edge of the park and resembling something out of the novel and films Beau Geste, this restored colonial fort with its flying flag and graceful palm trees is the most picturesque of the national-park camps. Hearing the bugle call from the watchtower at sunrise and sunset, you almost expect to see the French Foreign Legion come galloping over the horizon. The historic rooms are tiny—the troops didn't live all that well—so if it's comfort rather than history you're after, don't choose a fort room; opt instead for one of the fully equipped bush chalets, built at a respectful distance from the fort so as not to destroy the ambience. A recent renovation has left the spacious chalets gorgeous and well equipped, with nice touches like patios and outdoor showers. Directly behind the fort is a floodlighted water hole for game-viewing.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more