- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Susuwe Island Lodge
At a Glance
- more than 8,000 elephants and other exciting game inhabit this area, which is a mix of savanna, wetlands, and woodlands
- game drives, boat cruises, and walks are all included
- each suite has its own lounge, private plunge pool, and river-facing deck
- some game-viewing vehicles lack canvas canopies
Susuwe Island Lodge Review
This is classic Africa, a solid structure of wood and stone built before the designer-chic lodge invasion. This six-chalet lodge is at the eastern end of the Caprivi Strip (before the strip broadens and widens on its way to Botswana) on a small island in a teak forest in the Bwabwata National Park. Here, the deep, clear waters of the Kwando River lap the island's edges, and swamp boubous whistle their melodious calls. Take the time to climb to the highest viewing deck—up in that bird-rich canopy your inner spirit will be restored. A brass lizard, frozen in time, scurries up a wooden stair rail, while a long-lashed giraffe with bead earrings adorns the outside of one door. Two mokoros act as bookcases; a tiny, tiled elephant watches you from a corner of the stone floor; and in your emperor-size chalet, you'll find candles in carved logs, faded kilims, and a personal plunge pool beside the rushing river. This river trip is one you won't likely forget. Though elephants are around, this is not Big Five country; it's a place to unwind, which is a perfect way to end a safari.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more