- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Desert Rhino Camp
At a Glance
- amazing educational experience on rhinos and their ecology
- evening meals taken together by the fire pit allow guests to mingle
- some visitors could find this experience overly rustic
Desert Rhino Camp Review
If it's rhinos you're after, especially the rare black rhino, then this remote tented camp, formerly Palmwag Rhino Camp, in the heart of the private 1 million–acre Palmwag Reserve is a must. Because there are freshwater springs everywhere, you'll see not only the desert-adapted black rhino, but plenty of other game, too, including desert elephants, giraffes, zebras, kudu, and possibly lions, leopards, and cheetahs. The camp collaborates with the Save the Rhino Trust, and one of the highlights of your stay will be tracking the rare black rhino on foot. (If this is not your idea of fun, go tracking in an open vehicle instead.) You'll likely feel very close to the desert in your spacious tent with en-suite bathroom, flush toilet, and hot water on demand for your bucket shower.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more
Intergalactic photos of unbelievably beautiful star formations and swirling clouds above Earth's surface... Read more
The week after Thanksgiving means it's time to kick your planning mode into high gear.... Read more