- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ababis Guest Farm
At a Glance
- charming, homey environment
- self-guided hikes and walking
- 4x4 excursions at extra cost
- far from Sossusvlei
Ababis Guest Farm Review
Ostriches and cows rub unlikely shoulders at this intimate, historic guesthouse at a farm on the northern side of the Naukluft Mountains, near the tiny town of Solitaire. It was established in 1898 as an outpost of the German Imperial Stud Farm at Nauchas. Today it's an ideal base for exploring the area, whether on foot or by 4x4—although it's a day-long trip to Sossusvlei and back. With long hikes and short strolls around the farm, the area is ideal for hikers. There are seven en-suite rooms with private verandas, and the English-and-German-speaking hosts will escort you on game drives, to nearby San paintings, or to the Naukluft plateau. You'll dine well on home-cooked food, and there's a surprisingly good wine selection.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more