- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
&Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
At a Glance
- fantastic service
- lodge planetarium with resident astronomers
- more than the usual activities available including guided or unguided nature walks, a game drive to a petrified dune, expeditions to San caves to view paintings, and the highly recommended quad biking tour to see the thousands of mysterious, unexplained fairy circles as the sun sets
- excursions into Sossusvlei are at an additional cost
&Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge Review
This gorgeous glass and stone lodge has a spectacular setting in the NamibRand Nature Reserve. Its ultraluxurious desert villas, facing a vast golden-yellow plain with misty mountains on the horizon, are built of natural rock and look out over a plain ringed by peaks. Huge desert-facing suites have private patios and sundecks and big open fireplaces to keep you warm on chilly desert nights. Shower in your megasize bathroom (even your toilet has an incomparable view) or outside in your own little walled garden. You can lie in bed and watch the stars through the skylight overhead or climb up to the observatory behind the lodge. In 2012 the area was awarded the coveted International Dark Star Reserve status and with the observatory's state-of-the-art telescope and the lodge's resident astronomer you can experience an enthralling tour through the heavens. The food is as creative as the lodge itself—try tandoori-baked kingklip (a delicious Southern African fish) served with mango salsa—and there's a super wine cellar. You can explore the area on an eco-friendly quad bike, go for guided nature walks or drives, spot some native desert birds and animals, or just sit and gaze at the incredible views.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more