- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- numerous activities including hyena-tracking, self-guided walking trails, and bird-watching
- outside and inside fireplaces
- kitchen facilities are available
- some of the garden rooms are small and dark
- rehabilitation project not always on view for guests
Okonjima Camp Review
Located about halfway between Windhoek and Etosha, this camp is an excellent stopover point on your way to the park. Nestled among the Omboroko Mountains, this lovely but very busy lodge is also home to the environmental-award-winning Africat Foundation (www.africat.org), which has rehabilitated and cared for leopards and cheetahs for many years. You can get a close look at these magnificent cats feeding, and there are also guided San and Bantu walking trails. A bonus is the spacious hide, within walking distance of your thatched room, where you can sit and watch some of the smaller animals and hundreds of birds. In addition to lodging in the farmhouse with either garden or mountain views, there's a villa that sleeps up to 12, a suite that sleeps four, and a bush camp of eight thatch chalets with a canvas "front wall" that can be lifted during the day so you can enjoy the view. If you're looking for ultimate exclusivity, treat yourself to the gorgeous bush suite.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more