- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kulala Desert Lodge
At a Glance
- located on a 91,000-acre reserve, this is the lodge closest to the dune belt at Namib Naukluft Park
- great guides
- decor can seem stark to some
- if you choose the half-board option you must pay for activities and extras like bottled water
Kulala Desert Lodge Review
In the heart of the Namib and set on a 91,000 acre wilderness reserve that borders the Namib Naukluft Park, this lodge offers magnificent views of the famous red dunes of Sossusvlei, superb mountain scenery, and vast open plains. Refurbished in 2012, the tented, double-layer canvas, thatch-roofed chalets (kulala) sit on a wooden platform overlooking the dry riverbed. In summer you can request a bedroll from reception to sleep on your roof under the stars. The expanded veranda at the main lodge overlooks a water hole and is the perfect place to watch or photograph the magnificent desert sunset. Activities include desert excursions, morning and evening game drives, trips to Sossusvlei, birding, and guided walks. For an additional fee you can splurge on a hot-air balloon trip or helicopter ride over the desert—a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Here's a trip report from our 3+ week trip to Africa. Read more
Thanks so much to all those on this forum for helping me to plan my recent trip to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. Read more
3 nts and 3 nts?
3 and 2?
This would be pre-Etosha.
Looking to maximize chance at desert rhino and ele and other unique desert species/habitat.
Looking to hold down lodging costs.
What do you Read more
· News & Features
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.... Read more