Once famed as a hippie hangout for surfers and expat artists, these days Essaouira offers its cool breezes and relaxed atmosphere to a broader range of visitors. The windy city remains a favorite destination for its picturesque fishing harbor, medina walls, blue shutters, twisting derbs (alleyways), and sea, sand, and surf.
Essaouira pretty much has a nine-month high season, from mid-March until early November, with extra peaks around Christmas, New Year's, and the hugely popular Gnaoua Music Festival at the end of June. More hotels and guesthouses have opened in recent years, but the town remains peaceful in its laid-back bustle—an enticing blend of fishing port and seaside haven.
Essaouira at a Glance
- Argan d'Or
- Chez Hassan
- Coopérative Artisanale des Marqueteurs
- Espace Othello Gallerie d'Art
- Galerie d'Art Damgaard
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's