- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Azemmour, situated on the banks of the Oum Errabi River, is a fantastic weekend or day-trip option from Casablanca. The small town boasts a quaint Portuguese medina, friendly locals, and an artistic influence that gives the charming town a unique flavor. The Portuguese built Azemmour in 1513, and it proudly claims Estavanico, or "Stephan the Black," as a resident. Estavanico, born in 1500 into slavery, is the first North Africa–born person to arrive in what now is the United States. Traveling with Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, he was one of just four survivors of the Spanish Narvéaz expedition.
Azemmour at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Northern Atlantic Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's