- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Tamegroute (literally "the last town before the border," an accurate toponym when the Algerian border was closer than it is now) is the home of the Zaouia of Sidi Mohammed Ben Naceur, a sanctuary devoted to this extraordinary marabout (sage). Closed to non-Muslims, the sanctuary itself can be admired from the outside—the door bears an intricately decorated archway of carved cedar and stucco. The surrounding courtyard is perennially filled with dozens of mental patients hoping for miraculous cures or just for charity from the Naciri brotherhood. Outside to the left are onetime slave quarters still inhabited by descendants of Sudanese slaves.
Elsewhere in The Great Oasis Valleys
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe