- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Getting Around M'Hamid
M'Hamid is the last village before the pavement ends. Buses arrive here twice-daily from Marrakesh via Zagora and Ouarzazate. Grand taxis and minibuses also make the journey to and from Zagora.
Arriving in M'Hamid without reserved accommodations or excursions already booked can be intimidating due to fiercely competing touts. That said, there are several agencies trying to use a community-based approach to making such arrangements. Nomadic Life and Bivouac L'Erg are both committed to this approach. Other recommended companies are Bivouac Mille & Une Nuits, M'hamid Travel, and Sahara Services.
Timing and Precautions
The International Nomads Festival takes place around mid-March. The event is run by local volunteers aiming to promote understanding of the nomadic traditions of the Moroccan Sahara.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe