The Great Oasis Valleys Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Camel or Jeep?
Those cash-rich and time-poor are likely to plump for travel by 4x4, especially to the desert south of M'Hamid that stretches west to Foum Zguid. Getting to Erg Chegaga, for example, takes two hours by four-wheel drive and at least two days by camel. There are also great off-road routes around Zagora, M'Hamid, and Foum Zguid for those who love four-wheel-drive adventure. Some even prefer to go by quad bikes, which are also readily available.
But spare a thought for the poor desert, which thrives on being alone and slowly buckles under the weight of car fumes, carelessly discarded rubbish, and intrusive revving and whooping in an otherwise noiseless environment. Camels may take longer, but they're quieter, more authentic, and fit with the nomadic way of life.Updated: 03-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's