The Great Oasis Valleys Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Plan Your The Great Oasis Valleys Vacation
Morocco without the Sahara is like Switzerland without the Alps, and a trip to the desert is fundamental to an understanding of the country. After you've seen the Atlas Mountains, followed by gorges, oases, palmeries, and kasbahs, a trip down to the desert may seem a long way to go to reach nothing, and some Moroccans and travelers will warn you against it. Don't listen to them. The void you encounter in the Sahara will remind you why prophets and sages sought the desert to purge and purify themselves.
Hotels on the southern oasis routes generally range from mediocre to primitive, with several charming spots and a few luxury establishments thrown in. Come...read more
Far from the set-menu Moroccan cuisine of the urban palaces, the fare along the southern oasis routes leans to hearty tagines and couscous. Harira is more...read more
Things To Do in The Great Oasis Valleys
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband Paul and I (active 60’s and not yet retired) try to take an international trip once a year. Read more
We have just returned from a family trip to Morocco We only had 8 days and spent them in Marrakech, the High Atlas (Toubkal area), Fes and saw Volubilis, Moulay Idriss and Meknes with the final night i Read more