- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Tangier's strategic location on the Strait of Gibraltar has made it a cosmopolitan city, sought after by countless empires including the Phoenicians, Visigoths, Arabs, British, Portuguese, French, and Spanish. Tangier has traces of each empire visible in its architecture, culture, and lore. The Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines support a rich commercial and private fishery—with rocky coastal outcroppings where local anglers cast lines from long poles. The Rif valleys and plateaus, extremely fertile thanks to the region's reliable annual rainfall—typically two weeks straight in late November and mid-April—yield some of the country's finest agricultural products, including olives, wheat, barley, and honey.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe