- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Souk des Babouches
Souk des Babouches Review
Best approached by taking the main left fork on to Souk el-Attarine where it branches off from Rue Souk el Kebir and then continuing north for about 150 yards. The Souk Principal des Babouches, which is also called Souk Smata, is on the right-hand side and is filled with the pointed leather slippers so beloved of Moroccans. The small doorway opens up to an enormous emporium with examples in every color imaginable.
It can be hard to judge the proper value of these fairy-tale leather slippers, since price depends on so many things, such as the thickness of the sole, the number of layers, the presence or absence of a stepped heel, and of course the decoration. Use your nose, but be warned that a fair price can vary from 30 DH to 400 DH, depending on quality.
Look for the tiny wool boutique on the left as you come to the arch before the right turn for the babouches market. It's on the way to the Souk des Teinturiers (Dyers' Souk). You can see men rolling out wool to make into fetching striped handbags, and, best of all, into small balls, and looping them up into the most unusual necklaces going.
- Address: Rue Souk Smata, Medina, Marrakesh
- Location: Medina
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We took a drive through the Atlas mountains this summer during the corn harvest. Read more
Thanks to the kind people on this forum who are willing to share their travel knowledge, my husband and I just returned about 10 days ago from a 12 day trip to southern Morocco. Read more
Any Morrocans can help us tour their city? Read more
· News & Features
Bazaars, souks, spices—oh my!... Read more
Think of Morocco, and you probably think of the bustling souks of Marrakech.... Read more
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more