The easiest way to tour the well-paved regions in and around Fez and the Middle Atlas is by car. The best map to use is the Michelin Map of Morocco 959; if you can't find this map at home, ask your car-rental company to provide one. A map is a necessity if you plan to venture far from the beaten path. Road signs at major intersections in larger cities are well marked to point you in the right direction. Little white pillars alongside routes indicate distance in kilometers to towns. Traveling further afield into the Middle Atlas, many secondary roads are unpaved and require a four-wheel-drive vehicle. Through mountain passages, roads can be dangerously narrow, steep, and curvy.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's