An outstanding historic site from the Merenids, the Moulay Idriss Medersa was built in the 14th century by sultan Abou el Hassan. Hidden in the town's steep and twisting streets, the medersa's striking cylindrical minaret constructed in 1939 is the only one of its kind in Morocco, standing as testimony to Turkish and Arab influences. Originally built with materials from Volubilis, the minaret is decorated with green ceramic tiles bearing inscriptions of the 114 suras
(chapters) of the Koran.
Moulay Idriss, Morocco