Mauritius is generally disease-free; however, some incidences of the mosquito-borne Chikungunya virus have occurred, although very few cases have been reported since 2006. To be on the safe side, wear a tropical-strength insect repellant.
Treatment in public hospitals and clinics is free in Mauritius, although private health care is also available at a cost.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's