Mauritius is a multicultural country where Hindus, Christians, and Muslims live in harmony. Despite its image as a somewhat hedonistic, sun-kissed resort destination, this island does adhere to quite traditional, even conservative, customs. Visitors should dress appropriately when visiting places of worship and remove their shoes when entering temples, shrines, and mosques. Nudity is prohibited, although topless bathing is allowed on some resort beaches.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's