Le Chamarel Review
With stunning vistas of Le Morne, the Black River Gorges, and a string of beaches, this attractive spot is where you come for food with a view. Named after the nearby village of some 700 people, Le Chamarel is the ideal lunch stop when exploring the beautiful southwestern corner of Mauritius. Dishes include such island specialties as salmi de cerf (venison casserole) and octopus curry, and more traditional French fare like filet de boeuf sace poivre (beet fillet with pepper sauce). The dessert menu includes caramelized bananas, chocolate mousse, and coconut flan. Perched on a wooded hill, the indoor-outdoor restaurant has a thatched roof and a verandah suspended over the valley.
- Address: La Crete, Chamarel Main Road, Chamarel, Port Louis
- Phone: 230/483–6421
- Location: Mauritius
- No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It's almost impossible to believe that one year ago we set out on our amazing Africa adventure, visiting South Africa, Zambia and Botswana. Read more
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
My partner and I have been considering visiting Dubai for the last few years and may have an opportunity to go for a reasonable price in the next few weeks. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more