Le Chamarel Review
With stunning vistas of Le Morne, the Black River Gorges, and a string of beaches, this attractive spot is where you come for food with a view. Named after the nearby village of some 700 people, Le Chamarel is the ideal lunch stop when exploring the beautiful southwestern corner of Mauritius. Dishes include such island specialties as salmi de cerf (venison casserole) and octopus curry, and more traditional French fare like filet de boeuf sace poivre (beet fillet with pepper sauce). The dessert menu includes caramelized bananas, chocolate mousse, and coconut flan. Perched on a wooded hill, the indoor-outdoor restaurant has a thatched roof and a verandah suspended over the valley.
- Address: La Crete, Chamarel Main Road, Chamarel, Port Louis
- Phone: 230/483–6421
- Location: Mauritius
- No dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Africa 2014, January & February
We flew Ottawa to Zurich on Swiss and booked a 1 night package at the Hilton Airport that included an early check in, breakfast and late check out – a good deal, Read more
My husband Paul and I (active 60’s and not yet retired) try to take an international trip once a year. Read more
Morocco Trip Report March 27-April 8, 2014
We (couple with 13 year-old grandson) have just returned from a memorable tour of Morocco with a driver/guide.
Tip #1: Bring to the airport, the credit card Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more