Mauritius Travel Guide
Plan Your Mauritius Vacation
Beautiful lagoons, radically shaped volcanic mountains, and a cultural cocktail of Euro-Asian inhabitants make Mauritius—a small nation about half the size of Australia's Kangaroo Island and some 2,000 km (1,242 miles) east of the African continent—more than just a swanky resort getaway. Although you can relax on some of the world's most breathtaking beaches, you'll also find grand plantation mansions that evoke the island's colonial past, Hindu shrines adorned with marigolds, national parks abundant with exotic animals and plants, and delicious cuisine that fuses Creole and French flavors.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Mauritius restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Africa 2014, January & February
We flew Ottawa to Zurich on Swiss and booked a 1 night package at the Hilton Airport that included an early check in, breakfast and late check out – a good deal, Read more
My husband Paul and I (active 60’s and not yet retired) try to take an international trip once a year. Read more