- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the Rift Valley's few freshwater lakes, Lake Naivasha is a popular spot for day-trips and weekends away from Nairobi. The pleasant forested surroundings, which are a far cry from the congestion and noise of Nairobi, are another big draw. Keep an eye out for the fever trees, and the abundant populations of birds, monkeys, and hippos. Such an attractive location lured a group of British settlers to build their homes on its shores. Known collectively as "White Mischief," these settlers were internationally infamous for their decadent, hedonistic lifestyle. A 1987 movie of the same name, starring Greta Scacchi, was based on a notorious society murder set during this time in this location.
Lake Naivasha at a Glance
Elsewhere in Kenya
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's