Greek Orthodox Church of St. George
Greek Orthodox Church of St. George Review
The most important mosaic to see in Madaba is housed here, also called the Church of the Map. Spread across part of the church floor, the mosaic, which dates from about the sixth century AD is a map of the Jordan River Valley, the Dead Sea, the mountains of Moab, Palestine, Jerusalem, Bethlem, Egypt, and the Nile that dates from the time of Justinian. Most of the places on the map are important cities and the sites of events from the Old Testament. The tiles are in shades of red, green, blue, brown, violet, and yellow, set against a backdrop of white limestone.
- Cost: JD1
- Location: Madaba
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more