Monastery (Al-Deir) Review
Second only to the Treasury in its magnificence, the Monastery is reached at the end of a winding uphill 4-km (2½-mi) trail. It's larger than the Treasury (it stands 170 feet wide), but less impressively ornate. An inscription was discovered nearby referring to "the symposium of Obodas the God." From this inscription, archeologists deduced that the Monastery was built 2,000 years ago as a meeting place for members of the cult of Obodas. Either tomb or temple, it holds a spacious chamber cut deep into the mountainside, and offers sweeping views of the adjacent gorges.
- Address: Petra
- Location: Petra
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
· News & Features
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more
Tucked into the tony Gold Coast neighborhood, the 247-room Thompson Chicago opened its doors in early... Read more
Travel somewhere new each year, and you just might find yourself along the way.... Read more