The Kings Highway
One of the most historic and scenic roads in the world, this ancient route traverses the different ecological zones of Jordan, connecting the country's most significant ancient sights including Crusader castles, Roman fortresses, biblical towns, and the Nabatean capital of Petra. The best way to visit the Kings Highway sights is to rent a car, either in Amman or Aqaba, and spend a few days traveling and seeing the sights. The scenery is especially spectacular as the road winds through the gorges of Wadi Mujib and Wadi el Hasa. There are a few places where the ancient Roman road and column markers are still visible. The roads and signage are modern and in excellent condition and there are plenty of hotels, restaurants, rest stops, and service stations along the way.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's