The Citadel Review
Five minutes from downtown, the strategically located hilltop citadel is a good place to start your tour of Amman. The excellent views give perspective on the sprawling city—the sandstone buildings stretch to the horizon in every direction, but you'll have no trouble picking out the Roman theater. Not surprisingly, the citadel was an important fortress and archeological evidence shows that the area was occupied by human settlements as far back as the Paleolithic Age. Impressive remains on the site include the Umayyad palace complex, dating from the 8th century, and the Roman Temple of Hercules. The Jordan Archaeology Museum here is worth a browse, though the collection is somewhat haphazardly organized.TIP: The ascent to the citadel is steep, 20-minute climb; you're best off taking a taxi up (about JD1 from downtown) and walking back downtown.
- Cost: JD 2
- Hours: Open Sat.–Thurs. 8am–6pm, Fri., 9am–4pm
- Location: Amman
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more