The colony, set in Tzfat's old Arab Quarter, was established in 1951 by six Israeli artists who saw the promise hidden in Tzfat's war-torn condition; for them, the old buildings, the fertile landscape, and the cool mountain air fused into the magic ingredients of creativity. Others soon followed until, at its peak, the colony was home to more than 50 artists, some of whom exhibit internationally. Many galleries host workshops as well as exhibits, and many are open only
in the spring and summer, from about 10 am to 6 pm.
Old City of Tzfat, Tzfat, 1324744, Israel