- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The major urban center in the Upper Hula Valley, Kiryat Shmona is known for the cable car up Manara Cliff. For years, the instability in neighboring Lebanon profoundly affected life in the town, and by 1982 the spate of terrorist attacks had reached such proportions that Israel responded by invading Lebanon, the first stage of what would become the First Lebanon War. Kiryat Shmona was again in the news in 1996 when Hezbollah terrorists launched a focused and continued rocket attack on the town. The Israel Defense Forces responded by targeting Hezbollah's bases in southern Lebanon in a campaign that became known as the Grapes of Wrath. In 2006, Hezbollah again lobbed rockets into northern Israel, sparking the Second Lebanon War.
Kiryat Shmona at a Glance
Elsewhere in Upper Galilee and the Golan
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's