Church of the Beatitudes
Church of the Beatitudes Review
This domed Roman Catholic church, run by the Franciscan Sisters, was designed by the famous architect and monk Antonio Barluzzi. Commissioned by Fascist leader Benito Mussolini while he was dictator of Italy, the church was completed in 1938. The windows are inscribed with the opening words of the Sermon on the Mount. The terrace surrounding the church offers a superb view of the Sea of Galilee, best enjoyed in the afternoon when the diffused western sun softens the light and heightens colors. Keep in mind this is a pilgrimage site, so dress modestly and respect the silence.
- Address: Rte. 8177, off Rte. 90, Ginosar, 14980
- Phone: 04/679–0978
- Cost: NIS 5 per vehicle
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., daily 8–noon and 2:30–5; Oct.–Mar., daily 8–noon and 2:30–4
- Location: Mount of Beatitudes