- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Now covered with pine trees, Mt. Tabor has a serene look that belies its strategic and historical importance. Here you'll find the Church of the Transfiguration marks the place where tradition says Jesus began to radiate light and was seen conversing with Moses and Elijah. Christian pilgrims have venerated this site for centuries: Napoleon brought 3,000 French soldiers here to battle the Ottomans in 1799. Today Mt. Tabor is popular with hang-gliding enthusiasts, and there's a marathon around the mountain in April.
Mt. Tabor at a Glance
Elsewhere in Lower Galilee
- Beit She'an
- Degania, Kinneret, and Yardenit
- Hammat Gader
- Kursi and the Eastern Shore
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's