- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bible Lands Museum
Bible Lands Museum Review
Most archaeological museums group artifacts according to their place of origin, but the curators here have abandoned this method in favor of a chronological display. Exhibits cover a period of more than six thousand years—from the prehistoric Neolithic period to that of the Byzantine Empire—and sweep geographically from Afghanistan to Nubia (present-day Sudan). Rare clay vessels, fertility idols, cylinder seals, ivories, and sarcophagi fill the soaring, naturally lighted galleries. Look for the ancient Egyptian wooden coffin, in a stunning state of preservation.
The concept of the museum is intriguing, but some have criticized its methodology. A concept was imposed on a largely preexisting collection, rather than a collection being created item by selected item to illustrate a concept. Plan on an hour to see the permanent exhibition —a guided tour will enhance the experience—and check out the interesting (and sometimes spectacular) temporary exhibitions downstairs.
- Address: 25 Granot St., Givat Ram, Jerusalem, 91046 | Map It
- Phone: 02/561–1066
- Cost: NIS 40
- Hours: Sun.–Tues. and Thurs. 9:30–5:30, Wed. 9:30–9:30, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 10–2, Sat. 10–2. English, guided tours Sun.–Tues, Thurs., and Fri. at 10:30, Wed. at 10:30 and 5:30.
- Website: www.blmj.org
- Location: West Jerusalem
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Read more
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
We are two couples in our 60's and 70's who never visited Israel, but have traveled extensively in other countries on our own. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more