- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bible Lands Museum
Bible Lands Museum Review
Most archaeological museums group artifacts according to their place of origin, but the curators here have abandoned this method in favor of a chronological display. Exhibits cover a period of more than six thousand years—from the prehistoric Neolithic period to that of the Byzantine Empire—and sweep geographically from Afghanistan to Nubia (present-day Sudan). Rare clay vessels, fertility idols, cylinder seals, ivories, and sarcophagi fill the soaring, naturally lighted galleries. Look for the ancient Egyptian wooden coffin, in a stunning state of preservation.
The concept of the museum is intriguing, but some have criticized its methodology. A concept was imposed on a largely preexisting collection, rather than a collection being created item by selected item to illustrate a concept. Plan on an hour to see the permanent exhibition —a guided tour will enhance the experience—and check out the interesting (and sometimes spectacular) temporary exhibitions downstairs.
- Address: 25 Granot St., Givat Ram, Jerusalem, 91046 | Map It
- Phone: 02/561–1066
- Cost: NIS 40
- Hours: Sun.–Tues. and Thurs. 9:30–5:30, Wed. 9:30–9:30, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 10–2, Sat. 10–2. English, guided tours Sun.–Tues, Thurs., and Fri. at 10:30, Wed. at 10:30 and 5:30.
- Website: www.blmj.org
- Location: West Jerusalem
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
This is a trip report describing a two week vacation in Israel and Jordan (one week per country). Read more
I was wondering if I could ask for advice regarding accommodation and sightseeing on a trip I am taking to Israel with a group of 9 other work colleagues on a business/personal trip.
Our itinerary Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more