- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Burnt House Review
"We could almost smell the burning and feel the heat of the flames," wrote archaeologist Nahman Avigad, whose team uncovered evidence of the Roman devastation of Jerusalem in AD 70 at this house site, part of a larger, unexcavated complex under the Jewish Quarter. Charred cooking pots, sooty debris, and—most arresting—the skeletal hand and arm of a woman clutching a scorched staircase recaptured the poignancy of the moment. Stone weights inscribed with the name Bar Katros—a Jewish priestly family whose name is known from ancient sources—suggested that this might have been a basement industrial workshop, possibly for the manufacture of sacramental incense used in the Temple. A video presentation recreates the bitter civil rivalries of the period and the city's tragic end.
- Address: Tiferet Israel St., Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem, 97500
- Phone: 02/626–5922
- Cost: NIS 20; combined ticket with Herodian Quarter NIS 25
- Hours: Sun.–Thurs. 9–5, Fri. and Jewish holiday eves 9–noon (last entry 40 mins before closing).
- Location: Jewish Quarter
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Read more
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
We are two couples in our 60's and 70's who never visited Israel, but have traveled extensively in other countries on our own. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more