- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Room of the Last Supper
Room of the Last Supper Review
Tradition has enshrined this spare, 14th-century second-story room as the location of the "upper room" referred to in the New Testament (Mark 14). About two thousand years ago, when Jesus and his disciples celebrated the ceremonial Passover meal that would become known in popular parlance as the Last Supper, the site was inside the city walls. Formally known as the Cenacle or the Coenaculum, the room is also associated with a second New Testament tradition (Acts 2), as the place where Jesus' disciples, gathered on Pentecost seven weeks after his death, were "filled with the Holy Spirit," and began to speak in foreign "tongues."
A little incongruously, the chamber has the trappings of a mosque as well: restored stained-glass Arabic inscriptions in the Gothic windows, an ornate mihrab (an alcove indicating the Muslim direction of prayer, toward Mecca), and two Arabic plaques in the wall. The Muslims were not concerned with the site's Christian traditions but with the supposed Tomb of King David—the "Prophet" David in their tradition—on the level below. Allow 10 minutes to imbibe the atmosphere.
- Address: Mt. Zion, Jerusalem
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Sat.–Thurs. 8–5, Fri. 8–1
- Location: Tower of David and Mt. Zion
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
This is a trip report describing a two week vacation in Israel and Jordan (one week per country). Read more
I was wondering if I could ask for advice regarding accommodation and sightseeing on a trip I am taking to Israel with a group of 9 other work colleagues on a business/personal trip.
Our itinerary Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more