- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rosh Hanikra Review
The dramatic white cliffs on the coast signal both Israel's border with Lebanon and the sea grottoes of Rosh Hanikra. Even before you get in line for the two-minute cable-car ride down to the grottoes, take a moment to absorb the stunning view back down the coast. Still clearly visible is the route of the railway line, now mostly a dirt road, built by the British through the hillside in 1943 to extend the Cairo-Tel Aviv-Haifa line to Beirut. After the descent, you can see the 12-minute audiovisual presentation called The Sea and the Cliff.
The incredible caves beneath the cliff have been carved out by relentless waves pounding away at the white chalky rock for countless years. Footpaths inside the cliff itself lead from one huge cave to another, while the sound of waves echoes off the water-sprayed rocky walls. Huge bursts of seawater plunge into pools at your feet (behind protective rails). It's slippery, so hang on to the children.
- Address: End of Rte. 4, Rosh Hanikra, 22825
- Phone: 073/271-0100
- Cost: NIS 42
- Hours: Nov.--Mar., Sat.--Thurs. 8:30--4, Fri. 9--4; Apr.--June, Sat.--Thurs. 9--6, Fri. 9--4; July and Aug., Sat.--Thurs. 8:30 am--11 pm, Fri. 8:30--4. Call to verify hrs.
- Website: www.rosh-hanikra.com
- Location: Rosh Hanikra
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2599 -- Israel: 8 Nts. w/Hotels, Tours & Airfare, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
Our trip to Israel was the most extraordinary journey that we have ever experienced, and we travel often. Read more
January 2013 - One short week - 3 nights Tel Aviv, 2 in Eilat, 1.5 in Jerusalem.
This was my 7th trip to Israel and I lived there for a year way back in 1998. I've already seen most of the sights, so Read more
We've been to Jerusalem, but missed the Israel Coast. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more